I am very excited to be giving a portion of this book’s proceeds to no-kill shelters and rescue operations around the country. This is a great thrill for me, as my own dog, Graham, was a rescue himself. (We got him from a very kind woman near Portsmouth, OH in 2008.) So far as of fall 2012, proceeds from the sale of this book have created donations to the following amazing organizations:
- Save the Animals Foundation (http://staf.org)
- Hart Animal Rescue (https://www.rescueahart.org/default.asp)
- The League For Animal Welfare (http://www.lfaw.org/)
- Circle Tails (http://www.circletail.org/)
- PAWS Adoption Center (http://www.pawsadoptioncenter.org/)
- Speak Out and Rescue (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speak-Out-And-Rescue/232873172587)
If you are considering getting a dog, make sure you do it right. The Humane Society has a great page here on how to make sure you’re not buying from a puppy mill. In general, beware pet stores. There are so, so many pets that need adoption from shelters and other owners.If you adopt a dog, you are really saving a soul and making a difference in the world.
Other articles and pages of interest:
- A Forbes article on how pet stores sell puppies that were bred in poor conditions.
- Here is the PetFinder home page. That’s where we found our dog.
- The Best Friends Animal Society is widely regarded as being one of the top national no-kill organizations.